[Dev] Database design

Lee.Hansen at WesternUnion.com Lee.Hansen at WesternUnion.com
Sun Nov 24 12:56:29 PST 2002

Hi,

Thank you all for providing such interesting discussions.

As a DBA for a large "old" company, I'm always on the lookout for ways to
make my activities simpler and faster.  Your discussions have prompted me
to look into designing a single database for all the data I have to be able
to store, with a record format like:
      <tag1>(data1)<tag2>(data2)
in which <tag1> and <tag2> represent data or field names (XML?), and data1
and data2 represent field values.  I'm considering a key structure in which
(either fields 1-3 or fields 1-4) would be the primary key, with a
secondary key of <tag2>(data2)<tag1>.

If I can define my tags and the associated data correctly, I should be able
to store all data in one table, using the tags as a logical structure
control.  If I need to add additional fields, all I have to do is add
another <tag> value.  I also need to store the logical structure.

Example:  A CUSTOMER contains CUSTID, CUSTNAME and CUSTPHONE.  The
structure would consist of the following three entries:
                  <CUSTOMER><CUSTID>
                  <CUSTOMER><CUSTNAME>
                  <CUSTOMER><CUSTPHONE>
The data layout would consist of the following:
                  <CUSTOMER>("key")<CUSTID>(customer identifier)
                  <CUSTID>(customer identifier)<CUSTNAME>(customer name)
                  <CUSTID>(customer identifier)<CUSTPHONE>(customer phone)
with xref entries       <CUSTPHONE>(customer phone)<CUSTID>(customer
identifier)
                  <CUSTNAME>(customer name)<CUSTID>(customer identifier)

I think I can totally eliminate the "physical design" part of major project
plans.

Can this be of use to your discussions on the internal structures for
Chandler?  Comments would be most welcome!
Thanks,
Lee