Parrot -- was [Dev] psyco on the radar?

THoffman at indtech.wa.gov.au THoffman at indtech.wa.gov.au
Tue Nov 19 19:06:46 PST 2002

I would suggest that any of these sorts
of options should only be considered after the code
has been developed and is working etc, and not create
any dependancy on these sorts of technologies.

psyco for instance is very much bound to i386 at the moment,
and I think  "but when it is available for Python," is probably
a bit too optimistic, I don't think they even know how parrot will run
python yet ;-)

See ya

Tim

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 10:44, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Tim Randolph wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone from OSAF looked into using Armin Rigos' specializing
> > compiler for Python?  My brief experience with it has been good and the
> > reports on c.l.p have been outstanding.
> >
> >         http://psyco.sourceforge.net/
>
> Probably a better approach would be to take advantage of the Parrot VM.
>
> 	http://www.parrotcode.org/faq/
>
> Parrot is being optimized for dynamically typed languages like Perl,
Python
> and Ruby, and it fully supports closures (probably the only bytecode
> interpreter that does).
>
> Its not ready yet, but when it is available for Python, it becomes merely
> deployment option that greatly increases runtime performance -- no coding
> changes in Chandler would be required. So, its something to keep an eye on
> and potentially take advantage of in the future.
>
> Curt

DISCLAIMER: This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use
by the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information
and may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose other
than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained in it. In
this case, please let me know by return email, delete the message
permanently from your system and destroy any copies. Emails and their
attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other
defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems. All
attachments are opened at the recipient's risk.