[Dev] Rethinking scalability as a goal

Tim Randolph tr2002 at jrtr.org
Thu Nov 14 19:51:08 PST 2002

As long as Chandler won't *require* a server for full functionality
then I am all for this.  Otherwise, I am very nervous.

If the idea was that the clients were going to include "Fractional
horsepower" HTTP servers that rely on existing protocols, it is very
easy to imagine servers fitting in nicely.  Servers would be just
another peer on the network that happen to be up all the time, are
backed up and have big pipes.  It also easy to imagine this working if
servers are not even full peers, but standards-based, simple hosts for
publish and subscribe -- ala what Apple has done with iCal and WebDAV.

But is that what you have in mind?  Or are you imagining something more
like Napster or Exchange?  The current vision seems to be for Chandler
to take advantage of standards based web, mail, directory and calendar
servers.  Tell us more about what it means to have a "Chandler" server.

--Tim