[Dev] Rethinking scalability as a goal

Mitch Kapor mitch at kapor.com
Thu Nov 14 14:50:19 PST 2002

One area we are now rethinking, based on input from the mailing lists and
other sources, is whether also build Chandler from the outset to support
large organizations, not just small-to-medium ones.  Based on further
internal brainstorming, it seems less difficult than what we had
imagined.  It also looks fairly likely we will be getting some world-class
technical help on a volunteer basis.

Note that such support, which would involve some kind of server, does not
mean we are going to focus on large enterprises as customers.  Scalability
is but one of a number of requirements for a true enterprise solution.  It
does mean that, if we go in this direction, Chandler could provide a
solution for a university environment.

I'm posting this now, before a commitment has been made, to get reaction
and feedback.