[Dev] Python Version?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 11 13:39:48 PST 2002

  KS> On Saturday, Nov 9, 2002, at 11:36 US/Pacific, Michael
  KS> R. Bernstein wrote:

  >> However, I would still lean toward remaining with the same
  >> release of Python, unless one of the bugs found and fixed
  >> impacted Chandler in some way, esp. with regard to security.
  >>
  KS> The little I know of Python 2.3, there are new syntax features
  KS> (such as iterators), so that means that any code that relies on
  KS> some new feature might cause problems.

You appear to be mis-informed about Python 2.3.  The best information
you can get about what will be in 2.3 is here:
    http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0283.html

Generators (quite similar to CLU iterators) were in Python 2.2.  In a
fit of extreme paranoia, we made them depend on a future statement
(from __future__ import generators) to avoid breaking any code that
used a variable named yield.  In Python 2.3 and up, yield is a
keyword.  There's no new syntax.

Jeremy