[Dev] Chandler not to use RDF internally?

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven at lvcm.com
Sun Nov 10 12:10:49 PST 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 17:15, Morgen Sagen wrote:
> Greetings, all:
>
> My name is Morgen Sagen and I'm an engineer here at OSAF.  I've been
> trying to find time to introduce myself to the lists; the response has
> been overwhelming and list/site administration has been keeping me busy.
> This article talks about the prototype database I wrote which is used by
> Andy Hertzfeld's 'Vista'[1], and like Vista, the database was meant only
> as a means of exploration, not for the final product.
>
> [major snippage]
>
> The concept of records provides a way to group RDF statements (triples)
> into units that can be shared, edited, and deleted by the application
> while still allowing flexible queries that view the data as a graph.
> While Shimmer uses RDF triples as its internal storage format, Chandler
> most likely will not -- we are looking at persistent object mechanisms
> (such as ZODB) and Python objects will replace Shimmer's records. The
> philosophy of RDF is what will live on; someone on the list mentioned
> the word "intertwingled", which I think perfectly summarizes that
> philosophy. [snip]

Morgen,

Thank you for an informative summary of the Shimmer prototype database,
and your current thinking.

I have a question about your summary paragraph.

You said that Chandler will most likely not use RDF triples as its
internal storage format, but use persistent Python objects instead.

RDF (Resource Definition Framework) exists independently of it's XML
serialization format. What I'm hoping you meant was that Chandler will
store persistent triple objects and resources in the ZODB, rather than
serialized XML files.

An example of storing triple objects in the ZODB is now available in the
latest version of RDFLib: http://rdflib.net/2002/11/09/rdflib-1.1.1/

This dichotomy between 'RDF-the-framework' and 'RDF-the-format' trips me
up all the time in conversation too.

Thanks again for taking the time to describe your (very interesting)
work so far.

Sincerely,

Michael Bernstein.