[Dev] Python Version?

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven at lvcm.com
Thu Nov 7 18:24:10 PST 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 16:53, John Anderson wrote:

> On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 07:42 PM, Michael R. Bernstein wrote:
>
> > From: "Michael R. Bernstein" <webmaven at lvcm.com>
> > Date: Thu Oct 31, 2002  7:42:15 PM US/Pacific
> > To: OSAF Development <dev at osafoundation.org>
> > Subject: [Dev] Python Version?
> >
> > Does anyone have thoughts as to which version of Python Chandler should
> > be based on / distributed with?
>
> My inclination is to always use the most recent version that is stable.
> ZODB, for example doesn't work unless you use Python 2.2.2.

Well, yes, I agree, especially for self contained applications.

But if Chandler is going to be useful as a stable development platform
(for third party developers to add their own Packages to), than the OSAF
is likely going to have to make a longer term commitment to a particular
version of Python, at least between major version numbers.

'Python in a Tie' (2.2.x?) is supposedly intended to be just such a
long-term commitment (18 months or so) release, and it's likely that
Zope Corp. and PythonLabs will base their application and toolkit
releases (Zope and ZODB, respectively) on it.

Michael Bernstein.