[Dev] Automatic secure email

Elankath, Tarun (Cognizant) ETarun at blr.cognizant.com
Thu Nov 7 00:01:11 PST 2002

Hi Andy,

Your article has been extremely interesting to read and so has been this
discussion.

Some doubts (I apologize if they are naive)

1)I still don't see this prevents spammers from sending profile requests to
a large number of email addresses. Could you shed more light on the
"hash-cash" strings as you put it ? I mean couldn't all these numbers be
generated in the past and then the profile requests sent in one go ? Clients
would need to do more before sending profile responses back. I am not sure
that a "verification ping" as put forth by Aaron is the correct approach. We
may need do to a DNS check as well ?

2)Multiple profile associated with each email address is really interesting.
How are these profiles distinguished from each other ? Do we make some sort
of hash ?

3)The URL to get the public key is _not_ a good idea. There is no guarantee
that everybody has access to http. Many corporates block http during working
hours. Atleast it happens here in India :-)

4)What kind of problems will e-mail forwarding introduce in such a scheme
(if any) ?

5)I guess clients might end up having to support _both_ the "keys in header"
approach and the "round-trip approach"...

Regards,
Tarun