[Dev] ZODB is not a Storage Technology (Re: other formats )

Tim Hoffman timhoffman at cams.wa.gov.au
Mon Nov 4 18:20:12 PST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 05:09, Kevin Altis wrote:

> Given that hundreds of megabytes for email, attachments, not to mention
> calendaring, etc. will be quite common, I'm not particularly thrilled about
> having all of that data in a single file, that is one of things I definitely
> don't like about Outlook's .PST file. It is a simple matter to package up a
> directory of data for archives.

I wouldn't be too worried, many Zope sites have ZODB FileStorage files
in the multi-gigabyte territory, also you could mount multiple storages.

The main problem I forsee is those people who try to get more than 2GB
in their ZODB using filestorage and they happen to be on an OS
that doesn't support large files, or haven't got a python version built
with large file support

Zope using ZODB, has the facility to export and import parts of the ZODB
as either python pickles or as XML. One could in theory
export all the items in a "view" for instance and then delete them,
and later be able to re-import them if you needed to.

Rgds

Tim Hoffman