[Dev] ZODB is not a Storage Technology (Re: other formats )

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 4 13:14:17 PST 2002

  KA> Unless there is a major downside to using DirectoryStorage, I
  KA> think it might be preferable to FileStorage. In the first
  KA> release or two of Chandler, it would probably simplify tracking
  KA> down any storage related bugs too. It may also simplify
  KA> synchronization, if in fact, it is legal to do file
  KA> synchronization of objects stored with DirectoryStorage?

  KA> http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/DirectoryStorage

  KA> Jeremy or some other ZODB expert can elaborate on
  KA> DirectoryStorage and provide more background links.

I haven't looked carefully at DirectoryStorage, so I don't have much
to say about it.  I've been very happy with FileStorage performance
and reliability, so I haven't paid much attention to alternate storage
implementations.

I'm not sure what you mean by simplifying synchronization.  Can you
elaborate?

I'd still recommend starting with FileStorage and moving to something
else after you can more clearly identify requirements for the storage.

Jeremy