[Dev] ZODB is not a Storage Technology (Re: other formats )

David McCusker david at treedragon.com
Sun Nov 3 13:36:35 PST 2002

Eric Gerlach wrote:
> At 01:09 PM 03/11/02 -0800, David McCusker wrote:
>  >Does anyone want to lecture on how ZODB works inside?
>
> Just a quickie:  At this stage, does it matter?

I don't know.  I'm with you in your other message when you say:

Eric Gerlach wrote:
 > That would be closer to what I intended, but I still think we
 > shouldn't bind ourselves to particular technologies until we know what
 > we need them for.  I can cite some hilarious post-mortem comments on
 > projects that have failed because they chose a technology before they
 > knew that it was what was needed.

However, the general idea of transparent object persistence is a good
idea, and might be what is wanted without committing to a specific way
of doing it.  I thought I'd understand the context better under Python
if I heard more about how ZODB does it.  I could also go study it online
elsewhere, but other folks here wouldn't hear informed commentary.

I could also just try to wing a description of how object persistence
works in general without paying attention to ZODB.  But it risks
drawing a resounding "we know that already!" if it's what ZODB does,
and if folks here are presumed familiar with it.  (I'm not yet.)

--David McCusker