[Dev] Rule System was: Re: Rules Discovery

Chris Allum chris.allum at ihug.co.nz
Fri Nov 1 14:23:30 PST 2002

[cross posting to dev list]

This sounds like a good approach.

There should be a API that rule scripts can use to get specific
information about a message (particular header, or body), and set
information as appropriate, such as indicating which category it should
belong in.

For example (in no particular language):

script filter_message ( message_id ) {
	get "from" header for message_id // a Chandler API
	get body for message_id

	// do some processing

		add category "Personal" to message_id // some more
		do not apply more rules to message_id // example API's
	}
}

Of course this could be provided through the 'wizard' interface.

These scripts could have access to a statistical filtering package
(clippy) as either part of the Chandler API or some external package.

Chris